Honey has been used for the human body in traditional medicine for hundreds of years. This natural and miraculous substance contains some healthful elements that can really improve our health and state of mind.
There are many benefits to look at: it has healing properties, it can prevent cancer and heart disease, reduce ulcers, ease digestive problems, regulate blood sugar, soothe coughs and sore throats, and increase athletic performance.
Haven’t we convinced you yet? Plus, honey is healthier if used to replace refined sugar, which is 100% empty calories. To add up even more, we made you a list of 10 health benefits of honey so you can fully understand its power.
- Honey contains some valuable nutrients – From a nutritional point of view, 1 tablespoon of honey contains 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar(including fructose, glucose, maltose and sucrose). Honey is rich in bioactive plant compounds and antioxidants.
- High-quality honey is full of antioxidants – Some of the most important antioxidants are organic acids and phenolic compounds like flavonoids.
- Honey is a better choice than sugar for Diabetics – Studies have shown some mixed feelings about honey and diabetes. On one hand, it can lower bad LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and inflammation. On the other hand, it can also increase blood sugar levels, but not as much as refined sugar.
- The Antioxidants will help you with your low blood pressure – Studies made both on rats and humans have shown that modest reductions in blood pressure appear from consuming honey.
- Honey will also be good for your cholesterol – Honey reduces total and “bad” LDL cholesterol, and at the same time it raises “good” HDL cholesterol.
- Honey can lower triglycerides – Although triglyceride levels are likely to increase on a diet high in sugar and refined carbs, multiple studies have shown how honey consumption can be associated with lower triglyceride levels.
- The Antioxidants can also improve your heart health – Honey is rich in phenols and other antioxidants, which are helpful in reducing the risk of heart disease. It can help the arteries in your heart to dilate, and increase the blood flow to your heart.
- Honey is great for burn and wound healing – A review of 26 studies on the benefits of honey and wound care have stated how honey is most effective at healing partial-thickness burns and wounds that got infected after surgery.
- Honey can help reduce coughs in children – Honey can reduce cough symptoms and improve sleep more than any cough medication on the market.
- It’s delicious – Although it’s one of the most delicious foods out there, doctors are advising us to consume it in moderation, because it is still high in calories and sugar.
If you enjoyed reading this article, we also recommend you: 11 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Bananas